Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Book Worth Reading

If there is one thing you should know about me, it is that I love to read. I love to read anything from memoirs to fantasy, from romance to comedy.

One requirement I must have, however, is that a book has to make me feel something. I don't want to just read empty words on a page, and then feel empty after reading it.

Recently, I have read a book that took me on a roller coaster of emotions called "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, which turned out to be completely excellent. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.


It's about a young freshman in high school, Charlie, who is very shy and very innocent, and is taken under the wing of two seniors. Throughout the whole book, you're reading letters he's writing to his "friend" (who you never actually meet) and you get to experience his first year of high school with him.

The writing is amazing as well, giving insight to many different situations in the young boy's life and being able to know what he is thinking. Also, it's not that long, if you don't like to read books that look like it will take you forever to finish.

This book isn't necessarily a happy one, but it is totally worth it. This is a book that is not only emotional, but true to many people.

Unfortunately, this book has been banned by several libraries and schools, which I think all comes down to the fact that a lot of teenagers face many of the problems that Charlie faces, and reality is not always pleasant. 

I've only read a few books that I actually considered beautiful, but I can honestly say that this book may be one of them. You can easily see that in the following quotes:

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."

I hope that anybody who hasn't read this will be inspired to in the future. It's definitely worth it, trust me.

4 comments:

  1. Good review, and to the point on feelings and not just "empty words on a page"

    I'll steal that phrase

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you blogged about a book! It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so interesting! I'd love to look more into it

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this book. I recently heard that they were making it into a movie, which I have mixed feelings on. Apparently, Emma Watson will be Sam, which I feel would be a good role for her, however, the book is about Charlie recounting things happening in his journal. I feel that for them to keep reiterating that point may get to be a bit redundant.

    ReplyDelete